Fondo F10 - Canadian Western Lumber Company Limited fonds

Área de título y declaración de responsabilidad

Título apropiado

Canadian Western Lumber Company Limited fonds

Tipo general de material

  • Documento textual
  • Material gr?fico
  • Material cartogr?fico
  • Dibujo t?cnico

Título paralelo

Otra información de título

Título declaración de responsabilidad

Título notas

Nivel de descripción

Fondo

Institución archivística

Código de referencia

CA CCOQ F10

Área de edición

Declaración de edición

Declaración de responsabilidad de edición

Área de detalles específicos de la clase de material

Mención de la escala (cartográfica)

Mención de proyección (cartográfica)

Mención de coordenadas (cartográfica)

Mención de la escala (arquitectónica)

Jurisdicción de emisión y denominación (filatélico)

Área de fechas de creación

Fecha(s)

  • 1954 - 1987 (Creaci?n)
    Creador
    Crown Zellerbach Ltd.
  • 1902 - [ca. 1999] (Creaci?n)
    Creador
    Canadian Western Lumber Company Limited

Área de descripción física

Descripción física

1.56 m of textual records
724 photographs : multiple processes ; b&w and col. ; multiple dimensions
63 technical drawings : diazo print ; multiple dimensions
7 ledgers : multiple dimensions
4 bound volumes : multiple dimensions
1 bound volume : 40 x 50 cm (includes 107 architectural plans and 5 maps)

Área de series editoriales

Título apropiado de las series del editor

Títulos paralelos de serie editorial

Otra información de título de las series editoriales

Declaración de responsabilidad relativa a las series editoriales

Numeración dentro de la serie editorial

Nota en las series editoriales

Área de descripción del archivo

Nombre del productor

(1899-1992)

Historia administrativa

In 1889, the Ross, McLaren Mill was opened at Millside, an area near New Westminster, British Columbia. The mill had cost $350,000 to build, and was headed by President James McLaren, a Quebec timber investor and President of the Bank of Ottawa, and Vice-President Frank Ross. Production at the mill began in 1890. In addition to new facilities and a large amount of capital to support it, the mill also possessed the transportation benefits of frontage on the Fraser River and a spur line to the Canadian Pacific Railway system. However, despite these advantages, the mill soon faced several events that affected its production in a negative way. In addition to the death of McLaren, the mill also experienced a decreased demand for timber due to a general economic depression in 1892. Even when other mills began to recover in 1895, Ross, McLaren’s productivity was curtailed by the silting of the Fraser River, which made it impossible for large vessels to reach the mill.

All of these factors contributed to the company’s decision in 1899 to place the mill and its timber rights up for sale. An American investment syndicate, headed by Lester David of Seattle and Mr. Jenkins of Minneapolis eventually purchased the mill in 1903. The new owners sought to resolve the mill’s difficulties by dyking the area, and holding the federal government accountable for dredging the Fraser River channel and ensuring its accessibility to ships. Now called Fraser River Saw Mills, the mill was finally re-opened in 1905, as the largest mill in the Pacific Northwest. By 1906, the mill was already setting records for production levels and over 250 labourers were employed. As a result of the increased production levels and staff, both the mill and Millside were expanded; this included the construction of the Fraser Mills Sash, Door & Shingle Company Limited.

Production at the mill was so high by 1907, in fact, that the mill was nearly shut down due to a lack of available labour. The mill was taken over by an investment syndicate headed by A.D. McRae of Winnipeg and Senator Peter Jansen of Nebraska. The new owners instituted a major re-organization of the business. A half million dollar renovation and expansion of the original mill buildings was implemented and improvements made to increase transportation access to the mill via the Fraser River. The name of the town was changed from Millside to Fraser Mills.

The re-organization of the business culminated in 1910, with the purchase of enough timber rights in the Lower Mainland and on Vancouver Island for the company, now called the Canadian Western Lumber Company Limited, to be considered to have the largest private holdings in the world. Through direct or indirect purchase, the Canadian Western Lumber Company Limited acquired full or partial ownership of the following companies by 1916: Canadian Tugboat Company Limited; Coast Lumber & Fuel Company Limited; Coast Lumber Yards Limited; The Columbia River Company Limited; Columbia Western Lumber Yards Ltd.; Comox Logging and Railway Company; Crown Lumber Company, Limited; Fraser Mills Sash, Door, and Shingle Company Limited; Lumber Manufacturers’ Yard Limited; Security Lumber Company Limited.; and Western Canada Sawmill Yards Limited. Later acquisitions include The Golden Light, Power and Water Company Limited. In 1954, the Canadian Western Lumber Company, Limited was acquired by Crown Zellerbach Canada Limited. The immediate successor company to Crown Zellerbach Canada Limited was Fletcher Challenge Limited of New Zealand, which purchased the company in 1983 and, with further acquisitions, became Fletcher Challenge Canada Limited in 1987. In 2000, Norske Skog, a Norwegian paper company, acquired all of Fletcher Challenge's pulp and paper assets, and a majority interest in Fletcher Challenge Canada Limited. This resulted in the formation of Norske Skog Canada Limited.

Nombre del productor

(1954-1983)

Historia administrativa

Historial de custodia

The material was transferred from the Coquitlam Heritage Society who received the material, by donation, from Mr. James R. Brozer on January 17th, 2014. Mr. Brozer rescued the material when the company closed and maintained it in his basement for many years. The fonds was transferred to the City of Coquitlam Archives on May 7, 2014.

Alcance y contenido

The fonds consists of correspondence, financial ledgers, manuals, personnel files, photograph prints, and slides relating to the Canadian Western Lumber Company Limited., its predecessor, subsidiary, and successor companies (e.g. Crown Zellerbach and International Forest Products).

Área de notas

Condiciones físicas

Some ledgers and bound volumes show signs of mould and significant folding and tears. Consult finding aids and lower level descriptions for more details on physical condition.

Arreglo

Fonds arranged into series according to the content of the files as well as the company responsible for creating the records.

Idioma del material

  • inglés

Escritura del material

Ubicación de los originales

Disponibilidad de otros formatos

Restricciones de acceso

Some files contain personal information. See the Reference Archivist for more information.

Condiciones de uso, reproducción, y publicación

Ask the archivist for assistance moving bound ledgers to minimize further damage to the degrading records.

Instrumentos de descripción

Materiales asociados

Related material can be found at the University of British Columbia's Rare Books and Special Collections. See fonds RBSC-ARC-1111- Canadian Western Lumber Company, Limited.

Acumulaciones

Further accruals are possible.

Identificador/es alternativo(os)

Área de número estándar

Número estándar

Puntos de acceso

Puntos de acceso por materia

Puntos de acceso por autoridad

Tipo de puntos de acceso

Área de control

Área de Ingreso

Materias relacionadas

Personas y organizaciones relacionadas

Tipos relacionados