Stuk IT.0003 - Evacuation Practice at Essondale

Title and statement of responsibility area

Titel

Evacuation Practice at Essondale

Algemene aanduiding van het materiaal

  • Grafisch materiaal

Parallelle titel

Overige titelinformatie

Title statements of responsibility

Titel aantekeningen

Beschrijvingsniveau

Stuk

archiefbewaarplaats

referentie code

CA CCOQ IT.0003

Editie

Editie

Edition statement of responsibility

Class of material specific details area

Statement of scale (cartographic)

Statement of projection (cartographic)

Statement of coordinates (cartographic)

Statement of scale (architectural)

Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)

Datering archiefvorming

Datum(s)

  • 1953 (Vervaardig)
    Archiefvormer
    British Columbia. Provincial Mental Hospital, Essondale: Audio-Visual Department

Fysieke beschrijving

Fysieke beschrijving

1 photograph : b&w ; 20 x 25.5 cm

Publisher's series area

Title proper of publisher's series

Parallel titles of publisher's series

Other title information of publisher's series

Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series

Numbering within publisher's series

Note on publisher's series

Archivistische beschrijving

Naam van de archiefvormer

(1946–[ca. 1974])

Institutionele geschiedenis

The Audio-Visual Department at Essondale was officially established in 1947. Essondale Hospital had a single silent 35 mm film projector and sound and film projector during the 1920s and 1930s, and held weekly dances on an amplified phonograph as early as 1938. In 1940, two 35 mm sound on film projectors were installed on ward A2 in West Lawn. During this period, audio-visual equipment was largely used for patient enjoyment.

In 1946, audio-visual equipment for educational, clinical, and recreational purposes was organized at Essondale under Guy H. Walker, the head of the audio-visual department. At this time, they acquired 16mm films to show on wards for patients who could not attend films in ward A2. They also managed still projectors for slides and transparencies. In 1947, the department had three staff members and held regular picture schedules. They began collecting a 16mm library of both educational and recreational videos. Additionally, they had a phonograph record library and wired sound equipment into patient dining rooms, the lawns, and airing courts.

In 1948, the department acquired a still camera and fully-equipped darkroom for producing slides and prints. The audio-visual department began documenting all aspects of the hospital through their photography program and printed photographs in-house.

In 1953, the department moved to Pennington Hall where, for the first time, they had the advantages of an adequate auditorium for screening films. They countined programming wired music and radio across buildings and on the lawns and even extended their range out to the Riverside Unit at Colony Farm.

In 1966, the department became incorporated into the Industrial Therapy Department in order to consolidate their resources in one location. It was then known as the Audio-Visual Division.

Geschiedenis beheer

The photograph was taken by the Audio-Visual Department at Essondale (Riverview) Hospital in 1953. It is unknown how it came to be in the holdings of the Sisters of St. Ann Archives. It was deaccessioned and transferred to the City of Coquitlam Archives.

Bereik en inhoud

The item consists of one photograph (b&w) taken by the Audio-Visual Department at Essondale (Riverview) Hospital in 1953. The photograph shows an evacuation practice drill of bed-ridden patients..

Aantekeningen

Materiële staat

Ordening

Taal van het materiaal

Schrift van het materiaal

Plaats van originelen

Beschikbaarheid in andere opslagformaten

Restrictions on access

Termen voor gebruik, reproductie en publicatie.

Toegangen

Associated materials

Aanvullingen

Alternative identifier(s)

Standard number area

Standaard nummer

Trefwoorden

Onderwerp trefwoord

Geografische trefwoorden

Genre access points

Beheer

Voorwaarden voor raadpleging en gebruik