Series S07 - Council Committee minutes

Advisory Planning Commission (Minutes 1962-1963) Bargaining Committee (Minutes 1962-1963) Burke Mountain Committee  (Minutes 1962-1963) Civil Defence Committee (Minutes 1962-1963) Court of Revision  (Minutes 1962-1963) Finance Committee (Minutes 1962-1963) Fire Committee (Minutes 1962-1963) Joint Councils 3 Municipalities (Minutes 1962-1963) Arena Commission (Minutes 1962-1963) Grievance Committee (Minutes 1962-1963) Health and Welfare Committee (Minutes 1962-1963) Historical Society (Minutes 1962-1963) Library Committee  (Minutes 1962-1963) Parks and Recreation Commission (Minutes 1962-1963) Public Hearing (Minutes 1962-1963) Public Works Committee (Minutes 1962-1963) Safety Committee (Minutes 1962-1963) Sanitation Committee  (Minutes 1962-1963) Street Lighting Committee (Minutes 1962-1963) Subdivision Committee (Minutes 1962-1963) Supervisory Committee (Minutes 1962-1963) Water Committee (Minutes 1962-1963) Zoning Board of Appeal (Minutes 1962-1963) Town Planning Commission (Minutes 1946-1957) Advisory Planning Commission (Minutes 1964) Bargaining Committee (Minutes 1964) Civil Defence Committee (Minutes 1964) Committee of the Whole (Minutes 1964) Court of Revision (Minutes 1964) Equipment Committee (Minutes 1964)
Results 1 to 30 of 213 Show all

Title and statement of responsibility area

Title proper

Council Committee minutes

General material designation

  • Textual record

Parallel title

Other title information

Title statements of responsibility

Title notes

Level of description

Series

Reference code

CA CCOQ F1-S07

Edition area

Edition statement

Edition statement of responsibility

Class of material specific details area

Statement of scale (cartographic)

Statement of projection (cartographic)

Statement of coordinates (cartographic)

Statement of scale (architectural)

Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)

Dates of creation area

Date(s)

  • 1946-1997 (Creation)
    Creator
    City of Coquitlam. Council and Office of the City Clerk

Physical description area

Physical description

5.2 m of textual records

Publisher's series area

Title proper of publisher's series

Parallel titles of publisher's series

Other title information of publisher's series

Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series

Numbering within publisher's series

Note on publisher's series

Archival description area

Name of creator

(1891-present)

Administrative history

The position of the City Clerk was established at the first meeting of the District of Coquitlam Council on August 22, 1891 and R.D. Irvine was engaged at the salary of “not more than $50.00 for the balance of year”. Originally the treasurer, assessor and records manager for the District, the City Clerk eventually became Municipal Council liaison with a separately appointed Treasurer. The Clerk’s chief function is to be secretary to Council, Council Select and Special Committees, to the court of property tax revision and secretary to the Board of Variance and Family Court Committee. The Clerk is responsible for Council correspondence and for civic public relations. The Clerk is also the Returning Officer for elections to Council and the School Board and is the custodian of the municipality’s bylaws. Since the Clerk’s Office has responsibility for record keeping, its records serve as one of the more diverse sources documenting Coquitlam’s development as a municipality.

The area between New Westminster and Pitt River along the Fraser River in British Columbia became settled in the pursuit of trapping, fishing and logging beginning in the
1820’s. Industry and significant settlement began with the opening of Fraser Mills sawmill on the north bank of the Fraser in the last years of the 19th century. Coquitlam comprised an area of approximately sixty-five square miles that had been surveyed by Royal Engineer A.L. Breakenridge in 1863. By the late 1880s, it became evident that the area should be incorporated into a Municipal District, and to this end, a petition was made by a majority of the landowners and pre-emptors living in the area. By letters patent dated 25 July 1891,
the area was incorporated as the Corporation of the District of Coquitlam. The letters patent called for the nomination of five councillors and a reeve and the first meeting of a municipal council were assembled in Kelly’s Hall in 1891 at Westminster Junction, now within the City of Port Coquitlam. The first reeve was R.B. Kelly and the first councillors were E.A. Aitkins, James Fox, S.W. Selman, James Morrison and J. Shennan. The first City Clerk was R.D. Irvine.

In 1893, that portion of the Maple Ridge Municipality between the newly formed District of Coquitlam and the Pitt River was added to Coquitlam municipality. The City of Port Coquitlam and the District of Fraser Mills both ceded from the District of Coquitlam in 1913 in order to limit their tax liability for the development of the rapidly growing Coquitlam District and to establish their own tax base, taking just over a almost 7000 acres of land away from the Coquitlam District. Fraser Mills rejoined the District on 1 November 1971, when both districts revoked their letters patent and a new letters patent was proclaimed incorporating the area as the District of Coquitlam. Supplementary letters patent were issued in 1973 and 1986 to reflect changes in municipal boundaries. Effective 1 December 1992, the District of Coquitlam’s status was changed by new letters patent to that of a city municipality and it became known as the City of Coquitlam. Today, it is bordered by the municipalities of Port Moody, Port Coquitlam, Burnaby and New Westminster as well as the Fraser River to the south, Pitt River to the east and the Coastal Mountains to the north. It includes the community of Maillardville, a region near Fraser Mills settled by French Canadians in the early years.

History of the municipality’s bylaws indicates both the remoteness of the region and its rapid urbanization. Road taxation began in 1897, the sale of liquor was first regulated in 1909 and municipal health regulations were first passed in 1912. Coquitlam had electricity by 1911, and plans for running water began in 1916. The building of a separate fire hall in 1946 and expansion of water service in the mid-1950s indicate a particularly vigorous period of population growth. The municipality assumed responsibility for paved roads and sidewalks by 1961. Zoning changes in the 1970s and 1980s reflect a change in land use from agricultural to single-family suburban residential and low-density apartment housing. An average of two development permits was issued every month by the early eighties.

The town centre, developed in the mid 1970s, provides cultural and recreational facilities and includes a public safety building, a new City Hall, community centre, a high school and college. The population of Coquitlam has doubled from the 1970s to the present day. A dyking project began in the 1990s has eliminated the Coquitlam River flooding and bridge washouts that sometimes occurred in the last century.

City Clerks, District and City of Coquitlam
R.D. Irvine 1891-1899
John Smith 1899-1913
A. Haliburton 1913-1917
Robert Newman 1918-1927
Alan M. Shaw 1928
William Russell 1928-1947
F.L. Pobst 1947-1972
R.A. Leclair, acting clerk, 1965, 1966 1967
H.F. Hockey, acting clerk, 1967
Ted Klassen, acting clerk, 1967
Ted Klassen, 1972-1991
Sandra Aikenhead, 1991-1994
Warren Jones, 1994-2000
Trevor Wingrove, 2000-2002
Sonia Santarossa, 2002-2008
Jay Gilbert, 2008-present

Reeves and Mayors, District and City of Coquitlam
R.B. Kelly 1891-1896
E.A. Atkins 1897-1903
Ralph Booth 1904-1908
D.E. Welcher 1909-1910
James Mars 1911-1913
L.E. Marmont 1918-1922
George H. Proulx 1923
R.C. MacDonald 1924-1941
J.W. Oliver 1942-1944
L.J. Christmas 1945-1969
J.L. Ballard 1970-1971
James L. Tonn 1972-1983
Louis Sekora 1984-1998
Jon Kingsbury 1998-2005
Maxine Wilson 2005-2007
Richard Stewart 2008-present

Custodial history

Scope and content

Series consists of the minutes of Council committees including the Board of Variance, Parks and Recreation Committee (by the mid-1990s the Leisure and Parks Services Committee), Land Use Committee (originally the Town Planning Commission), Bargaining Commission, Burke Mountain Commission, Civil Defence Commission, Committee of the Whole, Court of Revision, Financial Commission, Historical Society Commission, Joint Council for Three Municipalities Committee, Land Sale Commission, Library Commission, Safety Committee, Sanitation Committee, Street Lighting Commission, Public Hearings from 1959 to 1978, Public Works Committee, Water Commission and the Zoning Board of Appeal.

Notes area

Physical condition

Arrangement

Arrangement is chronological, by year. Committee minutes were bound each year in no particular order except in 1975 and 1990, when they were arranged alphabetically by committee name.

Language of material

  • English

Script of material

Location of originals

Availability of other formats

Available as PDF files

Restrictions on access

Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication

Copyright belongs to the City of Coquitlam

Finding aids

File list available

Associated materials

Related materials

Accruals

Further accruals expected

General note

Council committees were struck as early as 1892. They were appointed by the reeve and could consist of only one councillor or could be composed of the whole council with one particular councillor designated as chairman. Early committee written reports were contained within the body of regular council minutes. Separate committee and commission minutes indicate the expansion of administrative complexity in the 1950's, 60's, 70's and 80's. An example is the Town Planning Commission, which was established in 1946 and consisted of five appointed members and a chairman, a representative from Council, a parks commissioner and on occasion, the mayor as a member at large. Subcommittees of the Town Planning Commission included Zoning and Major Roads subcommittees and a steering committee composed of the mayor and chairman.

Alternative identifier(s)

Standard number area

Standard number

Access points

Subject access points

Place access points

Genre access points

Control area

Accession area

Related subjects

Related people and organizations

Related places

Related genres