Showing 284 results

Authority record

Stiglish, Helen Mary

  • SH-2020-3
  • Person
  • 1920–2009

Helen Mary Stiglish (nee Pietrasko) was born on March 30, 1920 in Coleman Alberta and grew up in Athalmer-Invermere, British Columbia. Helen met her future husband Fabian Jack Stiglish in 1938. In 1940, Helen and her family relocated from Invermere to Surrey and Jack followed suit. The couple married on December 5, 1942.

In 1943, the couple bought a mushroom farm at 1050 Keswick Ave near the Lougheed Highway. The farm had been established by W.T. Money around 1928 and is thought to be one of the first mushroom farms in B.C. The farm consisted of 4 acres of land, with one and a half acres devoted to growing mushrooms. Mushrooms were sold by the pound under the name “Money’s Mushrooms,” and mushroom manure was sold by the sack.

Jack and Helen were entrepreneurs throughout their lives. They briefly raised chincillas for their fur, owned a brick business, and owned the 4 Acre Trailer Court at 675 Lougheed Highway from the 1950s until 1979 when the trailer court was sold to Walter and Dennis Hohn.
The couple built their dream home at 703 Edgar Avenue in 1969. Jack and Helen were avid square dancers and were enthusiastic members of the Vancouver Heights Square Dance Club in Burnaby.

Helen was an accomplished homemaker. Her passions were crafting, gardening, oil painting, and experimenting with new recipes for all of the mushrooms that came from the family farm. Jack and Helen spent their summers at a summer home in Whatcom Meadows in Washington State. Helen passed away on July 3, 2009 in Burnaby.

Studio Jeannette Enr.

  • SJE-2020-10
  • Corporate body
  • [19-?]

Studio Jeannette Enr. was a photography studio in Québec that printed funeral cards.

Sullivan, Patrick Liam

  • SP-2018-5
  • Person
  • 1951–

Patrick Liam Sullivan was born in British Columbia in 1951. He grew up in Seattle before the family relocated to Canada in 1964. He was first formally educated in fine art studies at Vancouver Community College. He entered the program in 1974 and studied sculpture with Barrie Holmes. In 1981, he received a BFA in sculpture from Emily Carr university with a specialty in stone sculpture. From 1985 to 1987, he completed the Coquitlam Stone Sculpture Symposium on-site in Blue Mountain Park. He acted as project manager/sculptor/teacher on the project which resulted in a fourteen piece permanent outdoor stone sculpture garden.

Sunday's Photos

  • SP-2018-1
  • Corporate body
  • 1940–1948

Sunday's Photos (also appears as Sunday Photo) is likely the business of Fred W. Sunday who was active in Vancouver between 1940 and 1948.

The Coquitlam Herald (newspaper)

  • TCH-2021-3
  • Corporate body
  • 1929–1974

The Herald Newspaper was a weekly newspaper that covered the Tri-Cities area between January 1929 and December 30, 1980. Originally it was called the Coquitlam Herald but was renamed the Herald in 1975. During 1975–1980 it was published by W.E. Dunning Publishing Co. Ltd., publishers of The Gazette, The Herald, The Sunday Gazette, and The Sunday Herald. It amalgamated with the Enterprise Newspaper in June 1981 and became the Herald-Enterprise Newspaper. The Herald Newspaper ceased publication on October 9, 1984 after W.E. Dunning Publishing went out of business.

The Coquitlam Star Publishing Co.

  • CSP-2017-4
  • Corporate body
  • 1911–1915

The Coquitlam Star newspaper and publishing company were active between 1911–1915.

The Corporation of the District of Fraser Mills

  • DFM-2014-6
  • Corporate body
  • 1913–1971

On March 25th, 1913, for economic reasons, the Municipality of Fraser Mills seceded from the District of Coquitlam and took 390 acres of land. The District of Fraser Mills was then incorporated on March 26th, 1913 under the Reeveship of Dr. R.B. Scott, with Mr. G. G. Stewart as Clerk. The District of Fraser Mills later re-amalgamated with the District of Coquitlam in 1971, with the first Council meeting of the newly amalgamated municipality taking place on November 1st, 1971.

The Green Book (Enterprises) Inc.

  • TGBE-2021-3
  • Corporate body
  • [ca.1990]

The Green Book (Enterprises) Inc. developed directories or "green books" compiling contact information for businesses and services for Coquitlam, Port Coquitlam, and Port Moody.

The Herald (newspaper)

  • CH-2014-5
  • Corporate body
  • 1975–1980

The Herald Newspaper was a weekly newspaper that covered the Tri-Cities area between January 1929 and December 30, 1980. Originally it was called the Coquitlam Herald but was renamed the Herald in 1975. During 1975–1980 it was published by W.E. Dunning Publishing Co. Ltd., publishers of The Gazette, The Herald, The Sunday Gazette, and The Sunday Herald. It amalgamated with the Enterprise Newspaper in June 1981 and became the Herald-Enterprise Newspaper. The Herald Newspaper ceased publication on October 9, 1984 after W.E. Dunning Publishing went out of business.

The Herald-Enterprise (newspaper)

  • THE-2021-3
  • Corporate body
  • 1981–1984

The Herald Newspaper was a weekly newspaper that covered the Tri-Cities area between January 1929 and December 30, 1980. Originally it was called the Coquitlam Herald but was renamed the Herald in 1975. During 1975–1980 it was published by W.E. Dunning Publishing Co. Ltd., publishers of The Gazette, The Herald, The Sunday Gazette, and The Sunday Herald. It amalgamated with the Enterprise Newspaper in June 1981 and became the Herald-Enterprise Newspaper. The Herald Newspaper ceased publication on October 9, 1984 after W.E. Dunning Publishing went out of business.

The Province (newspaper)

  • TP-2020-3
  • Corporate body
  • 1898–

The Province is a Vancouver daily, founded 1898. The newspaper was launched in 1894 in Victoria, BC, as a weekly, called The Province, by Hewitt Bostock and his associates. In 1898 the Klondike Gold Rush started business booming in Vancouver and it was decided to transfer the operation there.

The first issue of The Vancouver Daily Province came out on 26 Mar 1898. Bostock soon bought out the interests of his associates and took into partnership Walter C. Nichol. When Bostock became involved in politics, Nichol became sole owner and, in 1923, the Southam organization acquired the paper from him. In 1952 the name was changed to The Vancouver Province and once again to The Province in 1956. The Province moved out of the evening field in 1957 and in 1983 went to a tabloid format. The Province caters to a different readership than its sister paper and rival, The Vancouver Sun which is also published by Pacific Newspaper Group Inc, a Postmedia Network, Inc. company.

The Stride Studios

  • TSS-2017-5
  • Corporate body
  • 1925–1972

The Stride Studios was a commercial photographic studio located in New Westminster, B.C. operated by photographer Charles Stride (1890-1972). The studio was located at 657 Columbia Street, New Westminster.

Charlie Stride decided to become a photographer in 1920. In 1925 he opened Stride Studios, which became one of the best equipped commercial studios in the province. Stride Studios eventually had a staff of ten people and occupied the entire upper floor of 657 Columbia Street in New Westminster. The Studio was the official photographer for the provincial police department as well as departments in neighbouring municipalities, the Harbour Commission, the New Westminster Board of Trade, and the Royal Columbian Hospital, among others. in 1968, a fire in an adjacent building threatened the studio. When fire crews arrived, they doused the flames with water that destroyed the extensive collection of negatives. Charlie Stride died a few years later, in 1972.

The Tri-Cities Now

  • TCN-2016-4
  • Corporate body
  • 1984–2015

The Tri-Cities Now (originally the Coquitlam Now and at some points referred to simply as The Now) was first published in 1984. During the first years of its publication, it was published by Bob Moody under the company Now Newspapers Ltd and during the early years it is referred to as an independent community newspaper. By 2001, Now Newspapers Ltd. was listed as a division of the Lower Mainland Publishing Group Inc., a CanWest Company. In 2006, the publisher changed to Coquitlam Now, a division of CanWest Media Works Publications Inc. The newspaper was purchased by Glacier Media Group in 2007 along with several other local newspapers in British Columbia. In 2014, Glacier Media Group purchased the Tri-City News from Black Press and in September, 2015 announced that the Tri-Cities Now would print its final edition on October 1st, 2015.

Tokar, Sharon

  • ST-2022-11
  • Person
  • 1956-2024

Sharon Tokar is a founding member of Coquitlam Search and Rescue, and was one of the first women to be involved in search and rescue activities in the province. Growing up in Coquitlam, she attended Brookmere Elementary, Como Lake Middle School, Mongomery Junior Secondary, and Centennial Secondary School. As well, she worked as a nurse at Riverview Hospital and Woodwards in New Westminster. She was a trained archeologist and taught at Langara College. Sharon passed away in March 2024.

Tonn, J.L.

  • TJL-2015-5
  • Person
  • [19-?]

James Leonard (Jim) Tonn served as Councillor in 1971 and was elected Mayor in 1972, a position he held until he resigned in July, 1983. He was a former professional football player who played for the Winnipeg Blue Bombers and the B.C. Lions between 1957 and 1959. He served as Alderman for one year before being elected Mayor. He served as President of the Union of B.C. Municipalities and was Deputy Chairman of the GVRD Board of Directors. He served on nearly all GVRD committees and was Chairman of several including Planning and Parks. After resigning he became the Municipal Manager.

Touzeau, Lillian Frances

  • LFT-2021-3
  • Person
  • 1920–2008

Lillian Frances Touzeau was born to Ernest and Christine (Vaudin) Touzeau on June 22, 1920. They lived in the independent municipality of South Vancouver near 41st between Victoria Drive and Knight Road. Her parents and oldest brother had arrived in Canada from Guernsey, Channel Islands in 1911. Both her brothers attended UBC and one of Lillian’s dreams was to also study on the Point Grey campus to become a pharmacist.

Touzeau graduated from John Oliver High School in South Vancouver, after which she enrolled as student nurse at the Provincial Mental Hospital, Essondale in 1941. Lillian chose this profession as she had experience with mental health concerns; a neighbour and classmate suffered from depression and when the mother of this girl was unable to deal with her child she would ask Lillian to visit and ease the situation.

To Lillian, living with the other nursing students at the Nurses’ Residence was much like having sisters. The seventeen women in the Class of 1944 remained in close contact over many years. Lillian was an excellent student and was awarded the Deputy Minister’s medal for General Proficiency in 1944. From September 1943 – May 1944 she was president of the Student Nurses’ Association. In her report for the 1944 PMH Annual she wrote: “We have taken our difficulties to the training school and by talking over our problems we hope that the desires and ambitions of the students have been more clearly understood.”

Lillian required a leave of absence to provide hospice care for her mother in 1945. In 1946 she met Andrew Manzer, who had returned from the Second World War overseas and was employed at the Provincial Mental Hospital. They married in 1947 and lived near Campbell River until 1958 where they raised a family of 3 daughters. They moved to New Westminster and Lillian returned to work at the Woodlands School. She retired from there in 1980 at age 60.

Andrew died suddenly in 1989. Lillian remained active in the community as a volunteer for the Arthritis Association and in the kitchen at Century House Association. She practiced Taoist Tai Chi, was an avid reader of all kinds of literature. She died at Queen’s Park Care Centre in New Westminster, BC on the 26th of October in 2008.

Tremere, Anna

  • TA-2017-3
  • Person
  • [19-?]–

Anna (Brass) Tremere is the President of the Riverview Hospital Historical Society. She attended the School of Psychiatric Nursing and graduated in 1967. She worked at Riverview as a student nurse and as a Registered Psychiatric Nurse from 1965 to 2001.

Tremere's mother Olive Brass was also a psychiatric nurse at Essondale Hospital, and Tremere grew up to know the hospital well. Tremere later became head nurse and a case manager for the transitional housing program at Connelly, Cottonwood and Cypress lodges.

In 1993, Tremere established and assumed the role of President of the Riverview Hospital Historical Society. In 1998 the Society under Anna’s leadership established a museum on the hospital site and welcomed the public to access Riverview’s history. Thanks to Anna’s work, the museum preserved and presented the history of the hospital and preserved an incredible collection of records and artifacts relevant to daily life of the patients and staff at Riverview. When Riverview Hospital was closed in 2012, Anna worked with government partners to transfer the collections to the City of Coquitlam and to the BC Provincial Archives.

Anna continues to pass on her knowledge and inspire others by participating in several projects, organizations and committees including the Suitcase Project with Heidi Currie, the Riverview Lands Advisory Committee, the Riverview Horticultural Centre Society, and by serving on the Coquitlam Heritage board of directors. Tremere won the British Columbia Historical Federation's Award of Merit in 2018.

Tri-City News

  • TCN-2015-1
  • Corporate body
  • 1984–

The Tri-City News is a community newspaper that serves Coquitlam, Port Coquitlam, Port Moody, Anmore, and Belcarra. It was founded in 1984 and was owned by Trinity (a UK company) before it was sold to Black Press in 1997. The newspaper was sold again in 2015 to Glacier Media Group.

Trinity (NA) Holdings

  • TH-2020-9
  • Corporate body
  • 1832–

Trinity was a UK newspaper company founded in 1832. It merged with the Mirror to become Trinity Mirror PLC in 1999. In 2015, the company purchased Local World and became the United Kingdom's largest newspaper company. Trinity Mirror purchased the publishing assets of Northern & Shell in 2018 and changed its name to Reach plc.

Over the decades, the company owned many large regional and national newspapers in the United Kingdom and eventually expanded into the North American market. Trinity ran a collection of Canadian community newspapers under its North American subsidiary, Trinity (NA) Holdings, until 1997 when it sold 33 Canadian newspapers to Black Press.

Vancouver Sun (newspaper)

  • VS-2020-3
  • Corporate body
  • 1912–

The Sun, Vancouver's largest daily newspaper, first appeared as The Vancouver Sun, 12 February 1912, "to consistently advocate the principles of Liberalism." Under publisher Robert Cromie and his sons, the Sun tended to support the Liberals but was often critical of them. The Sun expanded by buying out other newspapers.

With its 1917 purchase of the Daily News-Advertiser (est. 1886), it claimed to be the city's oldest newspaper; with its 1924 acquisition of The Evening World (est 1888), it became undisputedly the city's second most important newspaper. Not until its chief rival, The Vancouver Daily Province, suffered a prolonged labour dispute (1946-49) did the Sun emerge as the leading journal of the province. The majority of Cromie family holdings in Sun Publishing Co were sold to FP Publications Ltd in 1963, and in 1980 Southam Inc. bought the newspaper. In 1992, the Sun was taken over by Hollinger Inc. In 2010, it became part of the Postmedia Network group of newspapers, after the collapse of previous owner CanWest Global, which had purchased the newspaper as part of the sale of Hollinger, Inc assets in 2000.

vanPeenen, Paul

  • VPP-2015-5
  • Person
  • 1964–

Paul vanPeenen worked as a photojournalist at the Coquitlam NOW from August, 1991 to February, 2012. He was born in the Netherlands on April 10th, 1964 and immigrated to Winnipeg with his family in 1980. The family relocated to Calgary in 1981 and it was there that he began to discover his passion for photography. He enrolled in the Journalism Program at the Southern Alberta Institute of Technology in 1985. During this time he worked at the Grande Prairie Daily Herald-Tribune as a reporter/photographer. After graduation, he was offered a full-time position as the paper's staff photographer. In 1987, he completed an internship with the Edmonton Journal before taking a job with the Medicine Hat News. After four years he was hired by the Coquitlam NOW and spent the next 21 years as the staff photographer, documenting life in the Tri-Cities area. While working for the NOW, he completed a Masters of Liberal Arts at Simon Fraser University. He retired from the NOW in February, 2012 to pursue his love of travel and photography.

Results 241 to 270 of 284