Title and statement of responsibility area
The Coquitlam Herald fonds
General material designation
- Textual record
Other title information
Title statements of responsibility
Level of description
Edition statement of responsibility
Class of material specific details area
Statement of scale (cartographic)
Statement of projection (cartographic)
Statement of coordinates (cartographic)
Statement of scale (architectural)
Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)
Dates of creation area
- The Coquitlam Herald (newspaper)
- Port Coquitlam, BC
Physical description area
29 cm of textual records
Publisher's series area
Title proper of publisher's series
Parallel titles of publisher's series
Other title information of publisher's series
Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series
Numbering within publisher's series
Note on publisher's series
Archival description area
Name of creator
The Herald Newspaper was a weekly newspaper that covered the Tri-Cities area between January 1929 and December 30, 1980. Originally it was called the Coquitlam Herald but was renamed the Herald in 1975. During 1975–1980 it was published by W.E. Dunning Publishing Co. Ltd., publishers of The Gazette, The Herald, The Sunday Gazette, and The Sunday Herald. It amalgamated with the Enterprise Newspaper in June 1981 and became the Herald-Enterprise Newspaper. The Herald Newspaper ceased publication on October 9, 1984 after W.E. Dunning Publishing went out of business.
The newspapers were collected by the Port Coquitlam Heritage and Cultural Society (now PoCo Heritage). The decision was made to digitize the newspapers and then dispose of the originals. PoCo Heritage will be transferring the originals to the City of Coquitlam Archives in batches as the digitization progresses.
The Special Supplements were originally part of the publications and reference materials collections at the Terry Fox Library in Port Coquitlam, BC. When the library relocated they conducted a weeding exercise. Material was transferred to the PoCo Heritage Museum and Archives and material that pertained to Coquitlam was transferred to the City of Coquitlam Archives.
Scope and content
The fonds consists of copies of The Coquitlam Herald newspaper covering the period from 1930 to 1957 as well as Special Supplements from 1979 to 1981.
The paper is yellowed and there are some ripped pages.
Arranged in chronological order. The fonds does not include a complete set of newspapers.
Language of material
Script of material
Location of originals
Availability of other formats
Restrictions on access
Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication