Corporation of the District of Coquitlam. Assessment Department
- Entidad colectiva
Corporation of the District of Coquitlam. Assessment Department
District of Coquitlam. Recreation and Culture Services
Robert Morton (b. 1856), a native of Glasgow, Scotland, immigrated to Winnipeg in 1911, then moved to Vernon, BC, for about five years, and then to Calgary. In 1931-32 Morton moved to Vancouver and took up residence at 2119 Maple St. He began publishing a sectional map booklet and street index of the city because an ordinary map of Vancouver was too bulky to be carried around. The booklet covered Vancouver, Burnaby, New Westminster, North Vancouver, West Vancouver, Surrey, Maillardville, Lulu Island, and Sea Island. Morton himself went door to door selling his booklets, and was still doing so at the age of 87 in 1942. Over time the operation became known as Dominion Map and Blueprint Co. (576 Seymour St.). Around 1957 it changed its name to Dominion Map and Blueprint Ltd. (1529 W. Pender St.), and by 1963 the company shortened its name to Dominion Map Ltd. (626 and later 571 Howe St.), and was now under the direction of M.J. Griffin. The company was wound up in 1981.
The Herald-Enterprise (newspaper)
The Herald Newspaper was a weekly newspaper that covered the Tri-Cities area between January 1929 and December 30, 1980. Originally it was called the Coquitlam Herald but was renamed the Herald in 1975. During 1975–1980 it was published by W.E. Dunning Publishing Co. Ltd., publishers of The Gazette, The Herald, The Sunday Gazette, and The Sunday Herald. It amalgamated with the Enterprise Newspaper in June 1981 and became the Herald-Enterprise Newspaper. The Herald Newspaper ceased publication on October 9, 1984 after W.E. Dunning Publishing went out of business.
Club Bel Âge were a Francophone seniors group based in Maillardville, formed in 1964 as Maillardville Branch No. 86 - a local of the British Columbia Old Age Pensioners Organization. They were the only French Canadian group in the province. They successfully petitioned Council for a dedicated space in 1991, a hall at Place Maillardville on Laval Square. The hall became place where Coquitlam seniors could socialize, play cards, craft and celebrate community. They ceased to operate in 2019 when their hall was demolished and membership was in decline.
Emeri Paré Sr. was born on April 8th, 1874 in Champlain in upper New York State. He became a Canadian citizen in 1895 while living in Sherbrooke, Québec. Circa 1910, he relocated to the District of Coquitlam with his wife Celina and family of seven children in order to work at the Fraser Mills as a blacksmith. It is known that his eldest son, Emeri Paré Jr. was born to his first wife, Elise Garneau. The mother(s) of his other six children is/are unknown. In January 1913, his wife Celina died and he married Lea Dault in June, 1913. On January 21st, 1911, the first Coquitlam Police Committee was struck in response to a complaint "that tramps and undesirables were being sent from Vancouver and Westminster to Coquitlam." Council moved that a committee be struck to "deal with the police question with power to appoint temporarily one or two men as constables to start their duties at once, and that the vagrants be severely dealt with and all possible means taken to protect citizens." (Council Minutes, January 21st, 1911) On February 11th, 1911, a call for applications for a police constable were sent out, promising a rate of pay of $80 per month. It noted that applicants were to state whether they were married or single. (Council Minutes, February 11th, 1911) There is no mention of a constable being hired folllowing this call, until September, when Council suggested that they "advertise in Columbian and Province for a constable at $75 per month." (Council Minutes, September 9th, 1911) Twenty applications were received and J.R. Edwards was elected at the September 18th meeting. An additional constable, J. (?) Wood was appointed on April 18th, 1912 but he was discharged on May 2nd, with PC Worrall being engaged as a replacement. A request was made on July 11th, 1912 to appoint a third constable, but no action was taken. On October 7th, 1912 Paré and a man by the name of Hunt were taken on retainer as special constables at a pay rate of $10 per month with an additional $.40 per hour when called for duty. In November, 1912 E.A. Round (likely Ernest Albert Round) was appointed as the first Chief Constable at a rate of $100 per month. In March, 1913, Paré was presumably appointed as a full-time constable as the Council Minutes for March 31st indicate his pay rate changed to $75 per month. In July of that same year, R.G. Marshall was appointed special constable at a retaining fee of $10 per month. In January, 1914, Paré was appointed Chief, though he continued to be paid at his same rate of $75 per month. In addition to his police work, Paré was charged with administering the volunteer fire brigade, and maintaining the jail, which was in the back of his house on Brunette St.. In 1927, the municipality contracted its policing services to the British Columbia Provincial Police, though Paré remained on the force until 1928, when he was transferred to the City of Mission detachment. He served in Mission until his retirement in 1933, when he returned to Maillardville and returned to his blacksmith trade. He died on September 3rd, 1952 at the age of 78.
Russell Hellard was born in 1924 in Toronto, Ontario. He worked briefly as a laboratory assistant at the Ontario Research Foundation before enlisting with the Canadian Army in 1943. He trained at Camp Ipperwash in Ontario, then was sent for a Special Wireless Course at Vimy Barracks (the Royal Canadian Corps of Signals and Canadian Signal Training Centre), before being sent to Vancouver and then on to Victoria, British Columbia to await deployment to Australia. He served with the No.1 Special Wireless Group in Darwin monitoring Japanese wireless signals until the conclusion of the war in 1945. Once the war was over, it took six months to travel back to Canada with all of the equipment that had been shipped to Australia during the war. Mr. Hellard's unit returned to Canada in February, 1946.
Russell Hellard, his wife Kay and daughter Susan lived in Toronto before his company, Calgon, relocated him briefly to Edmonton for two years. The family then moved to Coquitlam in 1959. Hellard worked for 30 years in industrial water treatment and retired in 1981. During his retirement he became very active across British Columbia as a professional dog show photographer. He was very active in the area of crime prevention within the Coquitlam community between 1984 and 1997, serving as chairman of the Crime Prevention Committee from 1989-1991 and the Community Policing Committee from 1992-1996. He was also actively involved with the Crime Watch Patrol, Block Watch, Court Watch, and Vandal Watch programs. He volunteered his photographic skills for several large community events in Coquitlam, including the BC Summer Games and Centennial celebrations, both in 1991. Hellard has also been an active volunteer and activity group leader at Dogwood Pavilion with the Lifewriters Group, which began in 1999, the Veterans Group, and the Volunteer Improvement Program. He has also photographed many Dogwood Pavilion events over the years.
W. J. Moore was born in 1887 in Bryson, Quebec, one of eleven children of James and Elizabeth Moore. The family moved to De Winton, Alberta when Moore was in his early teens. By 1911 he had found work with commercial photographer Byron Harmon in Banff, Alberta. Harmon married Moore’s older sister Maude in 1907 and it is quite possible that Moore received his early photographic training from him.
Moore, his parents and several brothers and sisters settled in South Vancouver and Burnaby in 1912. Vancouver was then in the midst of an economic boom, but in 1913 it became a depression. Moore established a commercial photographic studio out of his home, first at East 21st Avenue and later on Sophia Street.
He bought a Kodak No. 8 Cirkut Outfit in 1913 and incorporated panoramic photographs as a specialty within his business, producing most of his work with this format in the first fifteen years of his career. After 1928, his use of this format was sporadic and production was solely by commission.
Moore worked on his own until mid-1915, when he formed a partnership with Wilfred F. McConnell, purchasing the Canadian Photo Company from O. J. Rognon and Fred P. Stevens. While in this partnership, Moore signed panoramic negatives under both his own name and the Canadian Photo Co. The partnership was dissolved in 1921, with Mr. McConnell operating his photographic business under the Canadian Photo Co. name until 1933.
In 1921, at the beginning of a decade of economic regeneration in Vancouver, Moore established his commercial studio out of the Winch Building on Hastings Street. William Read was hired as an assistant and worked with him for over thirty years, eventually purchasing the business in 1953 when Moore retired. He died in 1963.
E.A. Atkins served on Council from the date of Coquitlam's incorporation in 1891 until he was elected Reeve of the Corporation of the District of Coquitlam in 1897. He held the position of Reeve until 1903. He was an original settler of the area, having been issued a Crown Land Grant for District Lot 382 in the New Westminster District on June 6th, 1883.
Lindsay Edgar Marmont was first elected to Council for the Corporation of the District of Coquitlam in 1911 and served in this capacity until 1912, before being elected Reeve in 1914. He served as Reeve from 1914-1916, then again from 1918-1922. Later in life he served as a Justice of the Peace until shortly before his death.
Dennis Eugene Welcher was born in the United States and emigrated to Canada in 1885. He served as Reeve of the Corporation of the District of Coquitlam from 1909-1910.
Peter Barth was the Accountant for the Canadian Western Lumber Company. He stood in the election for Reeve of Corporation of the District of Coquitlam following the secession of the City of Port Coquitlam in March, 1913. He defeated L. E. Marmont by a margin of 144 to 121 votes in the election held on March 29th, 1913. His victory was due to significant support in the Maillardville community. The Coquitlam Star reported that "Mr Barth is known to be a man of excellent business training and the result showed that Mr. Barth convinced the electors as to his ability." (Coquitlam Star, April 2nd, 1913) Barth served only one partial term as Reeve of the municipality.
John Douglas Andrew Lidster, known as Doug Lidster, is a retired professional ice hockey defenceman who played in the NHL. He is currently an assistant coach for the Vancouver Canucks. Originally from Kamloops, BC, he was drafted by the Canucks in 1980 and played for Team Canada in the 1984 Olympics. He made his NHL debut at the end of the 1983-1984 season. He was traded to the New York Rangers before the 1993-1994 season and was part of that team's 1994 Stanley Cup win. He briefly played for the St. Louis Blues before returning to the New York Rangers in 1995. He signed with the Dallas Starts in 1999 where he won his second Stanley Cup before retiring. After his playing career ended, he coached several minor hockey teams and served as Assistant Coach to the Canadian Women's National Hockey team. He returned to the Canucks as an assistant coach in 2014.
James (Jim) Hinds served as the Manager of the Coquitlam Satellites Women's Hockey Team between 1971 and 1982. He worked for BC Hydro from 1964 until 2001 and was elected to Council in Mission in 2014. He is currently serving as a Councillor in Mission, BC.
Jack Cash was born in Vernon, B.C. in 1918, to parents Bruce and Gwen. His mother, Gwen Cash, was the first woman general reporter in Canada. In the late 1930s Jack was in Vancouver selling classified ads in the "Province" and later became a staff photographer at the "Sun". When the war started in 1939 he went to work at Burrard Dry Dock, first as a pipefitter's assistant and then as a photographer. After the war he continued to work at Burrard on a freelance basis until about 1957. He owned a studio at two locations on Marine Drive, and is one of the North Shore's most accomplished photographers.
Leonard Frank was a well-known professional photographer in British Columbia between 1910-1944. He was born in Germany and first moved to San Francisco, before travelling to Alberni, B.C., to work in the mining industry. He began his photography interest there. In 1916, he moved to Vancouver and began to work as a photographer.
Son of one of Germany's earliest professional photographers, Leonard Frank was born in Berne, Germany in 1870. In 1892 he was struck with gold fever and emigrated to San Francisco, moving to Alberni on Vancouver Island two years later intending to prospect for gold. Frank never discovered gold, but by chance won a raffle prize of a camera which sparked his lifelong passion. While managing a general store and continuing to prospect, Frank took pictures of the surrounding country until photography became his chosen profession.
In 1917, Frank moved to Vancouver and quickly became the leading commercial / industrial photographer in the city. Frank 's photographs form a unique document of Vancouver and British Columbia's history between the wars. Whether in woods, shooting the activities of the lumber industry, or on Vancouver's waterfront, recording the contents of warehouses, Frank invariably managed to produce photographs which not only included the required factual information, but also the most exquisite natural light effects. He was frequently commissioned to photograph for both the provincial and federal governments, as well as being the official photographer for the Vancouver Board of Trade. Frank was an associate member of the Royal Photographic Society of Great Britain, the first in Vancouver to receive the coveted award. He later established Leonard Frank Photos studio. After Frank's death, his photographic studio was purchased by Otto Landauer, and closed in 1983.